30 June 1856 – Arrival in Boston Harbor – Mary Taylor


From the Life History of John Jaques;

Mon. 30: About 7 o’clock the steam tug “Huron” came alongside and towed us to Constitution Wharf. Brother Haven returned having learned that Brother Felt was in New York. The presidents of wards had the privilege of going onshore with two or three men from each ward to bring provisions for those who wanted them. I and Brother Steel, Paul and Taylor went and bought cheese, bread, butter, and sugar for our ward. I bought for myself about eighty cents worth of bread, about three pounds of cheese, two pounds of butter, a little fresh meat, and a few other things. Very hot day. Took a walk with Elders Haven and Steel along Washington Street. Elder Haven leaving us went on the Common. Very tired on our return. City very clean, also the people. Bought one quart of milk, 5 cents, several 10 cent loaves, 4 or 5 pounds of ham, and several other articles. Our letter did not appear in the Journal. The editor rejecting it, ostensibly on account of its length. I and Brother Haven shortened it and he gave us to understand that he would print it.

From the Diary of Samuel Openshaw;

June 30 – Very hot. Remained in the vessel while arrangements were made for us to go by rail.

From the Journal of Joseph Beecroft;

Monday 30th I arose a little to four and with my wife arranged our loose things into bags, during which time the Saints was emptying their bed into the river through the portholes. We had to throw out our good flocks and have some 3 months to lay on hard boards or ground. We got our things arranged, washed our floor, and being invited I went on shore and was in through this business [UNCLEAR] I felt comfortable. We breakfasted on cold water given to us by Sister Peel and about 7 the steam tug came and about 8 o’clock we were on tugged to Boston. I went on deck and enjoyed the scenery and the view of buildings next the sea as we passed along. The town is a great length along the side of the bay and presents a dazzling prospect from the water, but our joy was short for we were ordered below with orders that a man was not to stir, except by leave.

While below I got up some boiled rice, and about this time the anchor was cast and double guards were placed at each of the hatchways to prevent parties from coming to plunder us. While a number of awkward looking men came and wanted to come in our midst. About eleven I was asked to go onshore with our president and went with him and quite a number of the brethren in search for provisions and I had cheese, butter, and bread bought by Elder Brodrick [Broderick], who exerted himself as he always has done for our well-being.

The Saints had the privilege given to go on deck so I went up before Elder Brodrick [Broderick] was ready and looked abroad and Elder Brodrick [Broderick] having come to us I went out of the ship on the quay, followed by my son John, who so soon as he felt the floor, he stamped with one foot and then the other exclaiming, “I have put my feet on ground again.” I now felt joy to spring up because I had got to land and thought of those who had kissed the very ground when they first touched the shore. I felt on free soil for the gospel has made me free and I will live under its banner while I live and in death I will sail under it into another world, and in the resurrection I will be a more than conqueror under its ample folds and life giving principles through the spirit of God. [p.32]

When Elder Brodrick [Broderick] was ready in company with a many brethren we went into Boston and traveled a great part of a street that runs alongside the quay or harbor till we came to the marketplace, and there we purchased a large cheese and some butter and while [-] there the sweat flowed freely from us in consequence of our weak state, the sharp walk and the exceeding weather. The parties of whom we bought our provisions inquired where we had come from and where we were going and one gave the address of his brother-in-law who resides in Provo, Salt Lake Valley and presented me with a last Saturday’s newspaper which afforded me the news that the American government had dismissed Mr. Crampton, the English minister and that England was likely to dismiss the American minister. Strange news, what I oft feared., I felt glad I had escaped.

We got a good drinking of new bread, principally with butter and cheese, what luxury. I wrote a letter for my Brother William and finished a letter for Brother Peel, in which I enclosed my letter for brother William. I wrote much in journal and felt happy.

I got the privilege to go out again a little before 8 o’clock and in company with Brother John Pears went through a many streets, and while out we were passes by few water engines which was drawn at a good run by the men who was going to put out a fire. We should have gone further but I began to rain very hard. The rain passed off and we hastened on to ship which we reached a little after 9. The streets and houses was brilliantly lighted up by lightening ever now and then. Got some American coin for half a sovereign, I gave to Elder Brodrick [Broderick] to get changed. Attended prayer meeting and about 10 went to bed on the boards. A many put their beds on the floor in the gangway. Some slept on boxes, others on bags. Brother Litter [James Lister] and others cracked jokes and kept us our merry as pipers. [UNCLEAR]



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s