The basic idea is to use three ring binders and sheet protectors. Then instead of sifting through boxes, everything is protected and easy to see.
- Sort papers and documents into family groups.
- Decide what to keep. (If in doubt, keep it)
- Sort loosely into chronological order.
- Place into protective sleeves.
- Put sleeves into binders (fixing order if necessary).
- Label binder and put it on a shelf.
Some hints from the article:
- Buy sheet protectors in boxes of 100
- Make sure they are acid free, archival, top-loading
- Buy high quality binders that will last
My mom has done something like this when she was doing family histories. I think it is important to keep it simple and get it organized. Don’t be tempted do make it fancy. If you want to go back later you can.