Are you one of those people who has tons of ideas for story projects but can’t decide which one to do first? I’d start with making a list of all the projects you are thinking about doing. You might also make a few notes or comments about each of these projects and what you envision. Next be honest with yourself about how much time and energy you have to spend on your story project. Here are some ideas on some question to ask yourself that might help you decide which story project to do first:
- Which one would be fastest?
- Which one do you have all the skills needed to complete it?
- Which one do you have all the resources (images, documents, etc.) you need to complete it?
- Which one sounds the most interesting?
- Which one do you find yourself thinking about the most often?
- Which one would need you to learn something that you have wanted to learn?
- Do any of these projects involve interviewing a person who may not be around much longer?
If this is your first story project be careful about making it such a big project that you get overwhelmed and don’t get it done. If you have successfully completed a few story projects than maybe it is time to challenge yourself. My advice is to trust yourself and your intuition as to which story project is right for you at this time.
Finally share your decision with someone who will be a supportive friend in holding you accountable to completing your project. If you want you can share it with me. I’d love to hear about your story project.